Introduce your students to foundational research and library skills by adding instructional content directly into Canvas modules.
To help you “scaffold” research concepts throughout your course, librarians have created ready-to-import pages of instruction, quizzes, and activities that will help students tackle tough concepts and learn how to use the library.
Import library instruction tools directly into your course by accessing Canvas Commons (you can access it from your Canvas Dashboard, too), selecting Filter, then locating the CCV Hartness Library folder. Watch a quick demo:
- Student Orientation Guide & Quiz for first-semester seminar classes
- Meet Your Librarians Activity for first-semester seminar classes
- TILT Tutorial & Quizzes for English Comp and research-intensive courses
- Using Peer-Reviewed Articles for research-intensive, upper-level courses
Add library instruction materials and resource guides to your course by linking to any of the following. You can add links to any module, page, or discussion in Canvas.
- Library Orientation – An overview of library resources, locations, and services; essential for new faculty and students at CCV and Vermont Tech.
- Writing a Research Paper – A step-by-step overview of the research process for undergraduate-level papers and assignments; includes information and YouTube videos about selecting a topic, searching for information, writing a draft, and proofreading.
- Understanding Plagiarism – An interactive tutorial that reviews the basic concepts of plagiarism and academic honesty.
- Subject Guides – These guides can serve as starting points for specific subject disciplines. They contain links to the most relevant research databases in the subject area, as well as a selection of reference eBooks, books, websites and other helpful resources.
Use the Canvas Yuja plug-in from any text editing menu to embed library and research instruction videos onto pages, discussion forum descriptions, or assignment descriptions. Click on the plug icon and select Yuja Media from the list of options. Search for the word Hartness to see a list of the instructional videos available to embed.
These are the same videos on the Library’s YouTube Channel but using Yuja means that videos will be automatically updated. Watch a quick demo:
Let Us Build You Something!
Looking for new ways to integrate library instruction? Librarians can build you a customized video, guided database tour, worksheet, or learning object in Canvas (quiz, assignment, etc…) to meet the needs of your course or for a specific assignment.
- YouTube video about how to locate an editorial in the New York Times through the Global Newsstand database.
- Guided Tour of the Small Business Database to find case studies and business plans.
- YouTube video about how to research diseases using the Gale Health & Wellness database.
- Canvas assignment with a video and quiz about evaluating websites.
Schedule a Zoom session, at your convenience, so we can help you integrate library and research instruction. If you have questions or suggestions, please contact:
Reference & Instructional Design Librarian