The Hartness Library System supports the curricular and research needs of the Community College of Vermont and Vermont Tech through the provision of information resources, services, and instruction.
The library accomplishes its mission by:
- Identifying, acquiring, organizing, preserving, and providing access to information resources
- Providing instruction on locating, evaluating, and using information effectively
- Assisting users when and where needed in the use of library resources
- Providing effective, efficient, and easy-to-use information systems
- Communicating library services to raise awareness and increase usage of library resources and services
- Improving the library’s effectiveness through systematic, ongoing outcomes assessment
The library is guided by the values of:
- Intellectual freedom and an individual’s right to privacy
- Public service that is inclusive and available to all students, staff, and faculty
- Excellence in service and efficiency in operations
- Diversity and equality
- Lifelong learning
- User-centered services and operations
American Library Association (ALA) Information
Vermont State Libraries, Library Council Mission Statement
The VSC Library Council advances teaching and learning throughout the Vermont State Colleges. The VSC libraries are campus centers of scholarly inquiry and communication, and are vital to the intellectual, social, and cultural lives of the colleges and their communities. We are virtual centers as well, providing equivalent services to non-residential populations.
The VSC Library Council stewards excellent library services. It encourages the open and free exchange of ideas. It is committed to life-long learning, critical thinking, and information literacy. It supports collaboration within and beyond the VSC libraries.
The VSC libraries recognize that freedom of expression and free access to ideas are fundamental to the educational enterprise and to the preservation of a democratic society. The libraries adhere to the principles outlined in the American Library Association’s Bill of Rights, its Intellectual Freedom Statement, and its Policy on Confidentiality of Library Records. (March, 2014)